Electrofishing Principles and Safety Certification Course
DATES: TBA for 2022
Are you looking for an electrofishing certification?
Are you interested in getting experience handling steelhead?
If so, this course is for you!
There are TWO options for this event:
Option #1: COST $400 – Includes an online electrofishing principals’ course ending in certification by Smith-Root. **Unlimited Registration** (Day 1 Only)
Option #2: COST $600 -This is the steelhead rescue course in addition to Option #1. **Limited to 20 students only** (Days 1, 2, & 3)
All attendees will obtain an electrofishing certification from Smith-Root
DAY ONE: Time 8:00am – 4:45pm: *Online Zoom Call*
*Option #1 – Day One Only*
- Electrofishing History– How did tools develop over time and what innovations are on the horizon
- Electrofishing in Practice- Assessing the utility of electrofishing as a tool to meet your objectives
- Electrical Theory– Explaining electricity in easy-to-understand terms
- Electrofishing Equipment- Evaluation of gear types and settings for varying environments
- Effects on Fish- An in-depth look at the effects of electrofishing on fish and how to minimize them
- Operation and Safety- Procedures and protocols to maximize safety for crew and fish
- Applied Electrofishing Methods– What objectives do you have and how do we accomplish them.
DAY TWO: Time: 3:00pm-5:00pm– Steelhead Rescue Orientation & Training, LOCATION: El Estero Lake, Monterey, Ca.
*Option #2 – Day 1, 2, & 3. *(Note: Day 2 is mandatory to attend Day 3).
Facilitated with the Carmel River Steelhead Association Steelhead rescue leaders. Task include decontaminate equipment, gear inventory, and steelhead rescue mobilization. Students will have practice deploying electrofishing gear and execute learned techniques and practices in El Estero Lake. This portion of the class will provide the students hands-on familiarity with equipment operation and an opportunity to apply the information learned in the “classroom” from the previous day.
DAY THREE: Time: 8:00am – early afternoon – Steelhead Rescue, LOCATION: Carmel River, Carmel Valley, CA
Facilitated with the Carmel River Steelhead Association Steelhead rescue leaders. Students will participate in a steelhead rescue on the Carmel River. Skills include capturing steelhead by applying techniques learned during days one and two and releasing captured steelhead to a safe location where there will be season-long water.
What You Will Need to Be Prepared for this Course:
Day 1 – Computer downloaded with the Zoom application for virtual training, paper/writing utensil for personal notes.
Day 2 & 3 – Non-breathable chest waders (hip-boots okay), proper footwear, rubber gloves, polarized sunglasses, water, a packable lunch & snacks, sun protection, etc. (Gear will be sanitized on Day 2). Participants are encouraged to bring their own backpack electrofishes, however CRSA will provide several for field days.
What CRSA Will Provide You in the Field:
- Bottle water and snacks, but if you need to borrow hip-boots, please contact: email@example.com
If you have a question or comment we would love to hear from you!